Wednesday, March 06, 2019

StAnzas Poetry Festival: Day One

Feeling mildly like a fraud, I have boarded a plane and travelled overnight via Dublin to Edinburgh, where I was met by the extremely affable Ali who drove me through the wet and foggy landscape of Scotland -- down highways and round roundabouts and across a fantastic bridge, the architecture of which disappeared into the grey atmosphere above -- to historic St. Andrews where I now am ensconced at the Greyfriars Inn. I will be spending the next four days taking part in StAnzas, Scotland's premier poetry festival. Why do I feel mildly like a fraud? I'm not sure to be honest. It might be that I'm out of my element, being at a European Poetry Festival, and quite possibly one of the few people from across the pond in attendance, and I'm not sure what to expect; poetry may mean other things here than what I imagine it to mean. But I also have this odd feeling, since I have been out of circulation a little as a practicing poet, that poetry has changed since I was more fully engaged with the form as a writer. I also don't have a new book to show off, as I had hoped I might, so must rely on some old standards, which might very well be old. At any rate, these sorts of things in combination have me feeling a little off-kilter, but all I can do is welcome this feeling, and can't wait to find out what happens and who I will meet. I'm off to check in with the festival and to start meeting some poets, and will write more later. For now here is the view from my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment